General Information

Over Haddon can be found about two miles south-east of Bakewell off the B5055 to Monyash. (Map).  Our village contains about 100 houses and one pub; the Lathkil Hotel.  However the Craft Centre, still shown on some old maps, has been closed for several years.

Sitting at the top of a steep valley there are beautiful views south over the Lathkill Dale and river.
The area has been associated with farming since Neolithic times and the sheep grazing, still evident today, was most intensive during middle ages when farms run by monasteries were an important source of England's wool - the most important export at the time.
There is also a history of mining, from Roman times until the mid-1800s. Walk up the Dale and you can still see the remains of an old aqueduct and pump house used as one of the last attempts to keep the mines drained and workable. English Nature have recently stabilised Bateman’s House, the remains of the last mine manager’s house and the mineshaft over which it was built can now be viewed from below the ruins.

Claims to fame include;
 - Martha Taylor, "the fasting damsel", born in Over Haddon in 1649. She didn't eat for almost two years before  her death in 1684.
 - The Gold Rush of 1854.  Gold was found in a local mine but was in such small quantities that hundreds of investors all lost their money.
 - Maurice Oldfield son of a local tenant farmer was head of MI6 from 1973 - 1978. He lived in the village and is buried in the churchyard.
 - Pat Thurlby, winner of Everards Local Hero 2010 competition for his long service to his local community. Full report here.

For several years now the Village has had a Well Dressing. Normally during June the presparations as well as the end results can be viewed by the public.  For more details and dates visit the Village Hall website.


Please enjoy the village and countryside; leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photographs. Your dog is also welcome to enjoy our Parish but remember; bag it and bin it (there's a bin at the car park) and  ALL dogs must be kept on a lead between 1 March & 31 July (see countryside code).

Please call us on or use our contact form.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Robert Osborn